Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The first day

So I have a million ideas running through my head about school starting back in a few weeks. After being away from school since the end of April due to maternity leave, I feel excited about getting back. I was preoccupied with many different things last year...one being the growing size of my belly. I left the end of the year, though joyfully about the new beginnings in my personal life, feeling like I got by with doing the bare minimum with my students. My mind was set on survival mode to get through teaching a new class, teaching my Pre-AP class, and publishing the school newspaper. I know I'm not the first person to every have a baby, or any of those other things that people say when you use baby as an excuse...but I really felt overwhelmed much of the year.

But it's a new day! I couldn't be happier with my life at home, and I think that satisfaction is spilling over into a renewed interest to find that same fulfillment in the classroom. In the past week I have been trying to get things together for all three of the different courses I teach. The problem is finding the focus to take these things from "big idea" to practice.

So far my focus has mainly been on the newspaper. We are going to be publishing a web edition as well as our print addition. Now I know with the slow death of print media it seems like a no brainier...but I had no idea how many hoops I would have to jump through just to try and get the ball rolling. I am only at the beginning of this journey at the moment- but at least we are moving in the right direction. I've also been in contact with several very helpful professionals who have volunteered their time to come in and mentor my students. So far we have a photojournalist, a magazine editor, and a graphic designer set up to come in. I was blown away by how eager they were to help. I thought for sure I would hear several "no" before I got a yes. To my surprise they have each exceeded my expectations in wanting to help. I am still trying to figure out the best way to go about setting all of this up, but again it is a start.

As far as my English classes go, I met yesterday with a fellow teacher of mine who is far more tech savvy than myself. I felt both inspired, and..well...ignorant. She had lots of great ideas that I know nothing about, but I am trying to learn. That's where the blog comes in. My journey from what I feel is tech illiteracy. Also, my journey of reigniting the passion I felt for teaching when I started 7 years ago.

So here is to a new year! New experiences, taking chances, and hopefully seeing the end product as a student walking out of my classroom with a love (or at least a stronger like) for literature and learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment